APU2E0 Router + dual-band 802.11ac + 802.11n 2×2 MIMO Access Point
- Fully open source, high performance WiFi router / access point.
- 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, OpenWRT operating system
This is an access point built with APU2E0 motherboard, 1-2 WiFi cards, high-quality antennas, and OpenWRT operating system.
Depending on the configuration, it's either a single-band (one card) or dual-band (two wifi cards) access point.
It can be used purely as an access point, or as a full router. By default, we configure these systems as router+access point. If you would like us to configure it as a "dumb" access point only, please specify it in a note at checkout.
The router is shipped assembled, pre-configured, optimized, and ready to use (unless you choose otherwise).
APU router is the most open-source network device you can buy. It comes with an open-source BIOS, an open-source operating system of your choice, and open hardware schematics. It's not locked down in any way.
Things to consider:
- APU2E0 is a stripped-down version of APU2E5.
- It has 2GB of non-ECC RAM instead of 4GB ECC,
- 2 LAN ports instead of 3
- i211AT NIC interfaces instead of i210AT
- no internal SATA port.
- in practice, it has the same performance as the more expensive version!
- APU2 supports two WiFi mPCIe cards. APU3 and APU4 support one.
- Detailed comparison of APU2, APU3, and APU4.
- Compatible with laser engraving
- If the open-source aspect is not important to you, consider RUTX11
- APU2E0 Board (4 core, 1Ghz/1.4Ghz CPU, 2GB DDR3-1333 DRAM, 2 x Gbit ports)
- wle600vx (2×2 MIMO 802.11ac miniPCI)
- wle200nx (2×2 MIMO 802.11n miniPCI)
- 16GB SSD (durable and fast Solid state drive)
- Chassis (Red or black)
- AC Adapter
- Wall/ceiling mount
- Serial to USB cable
Advantages over proprietary Access Points
- Very high performance in practice - over 500Mbit/s real throughput. Many commercial APs are having great throughput in theory.
- Fully open-source. Hardware, BIOS and Operating systems are fully open.
- High configurability - OpenWRT allows you to take full advantage of the hardware.
- Small: 16.8 cm X 15.7 cm
- Very low power consumption - 6 to 12W.
- CPU has built-in encryption support (AES-NI), allowing for high VPN throughput.
The wle600vx card is dual-band, but can't operate in both bands simultaneously. To have a simultaneous dual-band access point, you need two wifi cards.
This hardware can run any operating system, but we HIGHLY recommend using OpenWRT because it delivers superior WiFi performance in comparison to other systems we have tested. wle600vx wifi card is not supported by BSD(pfSense, OPNSense), it works great with Linux (OpenWRT, IPFire, Ubuntu, etc).
|CPU||AMD Embedded G series GX-412TC, 1.0Ghz/1.4Ghz quad Jaguar core with 64 bit and AES-NI support, 32K data + 32K instruction cache per core, shared 2MB L2 cache.|
|Graphics card||Not present|
|This system doesn't have a graphics card. This is an advantage in some ways - less hardware = more reliability. Use serial port instead.|
|Memory type||2GB DDR3-1333 DRAM|
|Memory is soldered on the motherboard - can't be extended.|
|Ethernet speed||1 Gbps|
|Ethernet chipset||2x i211AT|
|Primary storage||mSATA SSD (16-512 GB)|
|2nd storage||SD Card|
|2.5'' SATA is not supported on this board.|
|Serial port||1x DB9 null-modem, serial port|
|External I/O||DB9 serial port, 2x LAN, 2x USB 3.0, DC Jack, three front panel LEDs, pushbutton|
|Internal I/O ports|
|Internal I/O||Limited. Headers not present. Front-panel pins, SPI header for CMOS, 3x mPCIe slots (1 mSATA, 1 PCI+USB, 1 PCI-only), 1 SIM slot, SD card slot|
|LTE option||yes, use mPCIe cards available in store|
|Wi-Fi option||Yes, 1 or 2 adapters (wle200nx or wle600nx)|
|Draw at 1 core||6.7W|
|Stress test draw||7.1W|
|Power Adapter||12V, 2A|
|Power DC jack||2.5 mm, center positive|
|Supported operating systems||OpenWRT, Debian, Ubuntu|
|Dimensions||168 mm x 157 mm x 30 mm|
|Mounting option||wall-mount option|
|Cooling||Passive cooling from the CPU to the enclosure using a 3 mm alu heat spreader (included)|
|Accessories and peripherials|
|Included Accessories||- APU2E0 Motherboard
- 16GB SSD
- Chassis designed for this board
- Power adapter
- DB9-to-USB serial adapter with USB cable
- wle200nx and wle600vx, depending on the variant chosen
|Other||can connect 2x WiFi cards|