|Operating system||pfSense® CE, OPNSense, IPFire, OpenWRT and all other router systems are supported.|
|CPU||AMD Embedded G series GX-412TC, 1.0Ghz/1.4Ghz quad Jaguar core with 64 bit and AES-NI support, 32K data + 32K instruction cache per core, shared 2MB L2 cache.|
|Memory||4 GB ECC DDR3-1333 DRAM|
|NICs||3 x Gbit (Intel i210AT)|
|Power consumption||6W idle, 12W under full load|
|Ports||1x Serial, 4x USB, 3x LAN|
|Cooling||Passively cooled. Silent|
|Dimensions||168 mm x 157 mm x 30 mm|
|Other||can connect 2x WiFi cards|
APU2E4 Router reviews
APU2E4: 3x Gigabit LAN, Quad Core CPU, 16GB SSD, 4GB RAM
APU2, APU3 and APU4 are the most popular routers we sell because they are open-source, achieve excellent performance and are rock solid.
The router is shipped assembled, pre-configured, optimized and ready to use (unless you choose otherwise).
APU router is the most open-source network device you can buy. It comes with open-source BIOS, open-source operating system of your choice and open hardware schematics. It's not locked down in any way.
APU2, APU3 and APU4 are very similar to each other and achieve roughly the same performance. You can see the detailed comparison here. If you aren't sure which one to choose, get APU2E4.
Hardware supports OPNsense, pfSense, Open-WRT, *BSD and number of other operating systems.
Things to consider:
- APU2 supports two WiFi mPCIe cards. APU3 and APU4 support one.
- APU2E4 has intel i210-AT network interfaces (theoretically more performant - I haven't noticed the difference)
- APU2E0 is a stripped-down version of APU2E4. It has 2GB of RAM instead of 4, 2 LAN ports instead of 3 and no internal SATA port.
- You can connect a 2.5' SATA drive to an internal SATA port to expand storage up to 1TB+. (not on APU2E0)
- APU3 and APU4 are optimized for LTE connectivity, APU2 isn't. You can connect one or two mPCIe LTE modems to APU3 and APU4 to get WAN over 3G/4G.
- Detailed comparison of APU2, APU3, APU4.
- All LAN ports have real interfaces with separate chips. Those are real router ports, not switch ports.
Advantages over competing hardware products
- Completely silent. 0 dB - passively cooled. No moving parts.
- Small: 16.8 cm X 15.7 cm
- Very low power consumption - 6 to 12W.
- Very high throughput - 1 Gbit on pfSense, OpenWRT and IPFire.
- CPU has built-in encryption support (AES-NI), allowing for high VPN throughput. 100-140Mbit/s on OpenVPN and about 700Mbit/s on Wireguard
- APU2E4 Board (4 core, 1Ghz/1.4Ghz CPU, 4GB DDR3-1333 DRAM, 3 x Gbit ports)
- 16GB SSD (durable and fast Solid-state drive)
- Chassis (clean and elegant design for a router)
- Power adapter (small)
- Serial to USB cable
Advantages over the proprietary solutions:
- Low total cost of ownership
- No artificial add-ons requires to make your system fully functional
- No additional charges for extra features - everything is included. unlimited users, unlimited firewall rules. unlimited VPN accounts.
- Low power consumption. It won't show on your electric bill.
- No moving parts. This system is designed to last decades.
Router/Firewall comes assembled, pre-configured and ready to use.