APU2E0: 2x Gigabit LAN, Quad Core CPU, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM
- Entry level, but fully capable router
- 1x Gbps WAN, 1x Gbps LAN
- 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD
APU2, APU3 and APU4 are the most popular routers we sell because they are open-source, achieve excellent performance and are rock solid.
The router is shipped assembled, pre-configured, optimized and ready to use (unless you choose otherwise).
APU router is the most open-source network device you can buy. It comes with open-source BIOS, open-source operating system of your choice and open hardware schematics. It's not locked down in any way.
APU2, APU3 and APU4 are very similar to each other and achieve roughly the same performance. You can see the detailed comparison here.
Hardware supports OPNsense, pfSense, Open-WRT, *BSD and number of other operating systems.
Things to consider:
- APU2E0 is a stripped-down version of APU2E5.
- It has 2GB of non-ECC RAM instead of 4GB ECC
- 2 LAN ports instead of 3
- i211AT NIC interfaces (same)
- no internal SATA port.
- in practice, it has the same performance as the more expensive version!
- APU2 supports two WiFi mPCIe cards. APU3 and APU4 support one.
- You can connect one or two mPCIe LTE modems to APU3 and APU4 to get WAN over 3G/4G.
- Detailed comparison of APU2, APU3, APU4.
- All LAN ports have real interfaces with separate chips. Those are real router ports, not switch ports.
Advantages over competing hardware products
- Completely silent. 0 dB - passively cooled. No moving parts.
- Small: 16.8 cm X 15.7 cm
- Very low power consumption - 6 to 12W.
- Very high throughput - 1 Gbit on OPNsense, pfSense, OpenWRT and IPFire.
- CPU has built-in encryption support (AES-NI), allowing for high VPN throughput.
- APU2E0 Board (4 core, 1Ghz/1.4Ghz CPU, 2GB DDR3-1333 DRAM, 2 x Gbit ports)
- 16GB SSD (use router configurator if you would like to have larger size)
- Chassis (clean and elegant design for a router)
- AC Adapter
- Serial to USB cable
If you want a larger SSD or don't need the cable, use the APU router configurator to pick the parts you want.
|CPU||AMD Embedded G series GX-412TC, 1.0Ghz/1.4Ghz quad Jaguar core with 64 bit and AES-NI support, 32K data + 32K instruction cache per core, shared 2MB L2 cache.|
|Graphics card||Not present|
|This system doesn't have a graphics card. This is an advantage in some ways - less hardware = more reliability. Use serial port instead.|
|Memory type||2GB DDR3-1333 DRAM|
|Memory is soldered on the motherboard - can't be extended.|
|Ethernet speed||1 Gbps|
|Ethernet chipset||2x i211AT|
|Primary storage||mSATA SSD (16-512 GB)|
|2nd storage||SD Card|
|2.5'' SATA is not supported on this board.|
|Serial port||1x DB9 null-modem, serial port|
|External I/O||DB9 serial port, 2x LAN, 2x USB 3.0, DC Jack, three front panel LEDs, pushbutton|
|Internal I/O ports|
|Internal I/O||Limited. Headers not present. Front-panel pins, SPI header for CMOS, 3x mPCIe slots (1 mSATA, 1 PCI+USB, 1 PCI-only), 1 SIM slot, SD card slot|
|LTE option||yes, use mPCIe cards available in store|
|Wi-Fi option||Yes, 1 or 2 adapters (wle200nx or wle600nx)|
|Draw at 1 core||6.7|
|Stress test draw||7.1|
|Power Adapter||12V, 2A|
|Power DC jack||2.5 mm, center positive|
|Supported operating systems||pfSense® CE, OPNSense, OpenWRT and all other router systems are supported|
|Dimensions||168 mm x 157 mm x 30 mm|
|Mounting option||wall-mount option|
|Cooling||Passive cooling from the CPU to the enclosure using a 3 mm alu heat spreader (included)|
|Accessories and peripherials|
|Included Accessories||- APU2E0 Motherboard
- 16GB SSD
- Chassis designed for this board
- Power adapter
- DB9-to-USB serial adapter with USB cable
|Other||can connect 2x WiFi cards|